Countdown to 1 yr

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, May 10, 2010

Kelsey 2 weeks old.... my first Mother's Day


So I just had my first Mother's Day! I sometimes still can't believe that I'm actually a Mother. But I guess I've been a Mother for 2 weeks + 9 months if you count the time I was pregnant. :)
It started with the little cries of a newborn wanting my attention.... she was hungry. So Brian went to get her and brought her to me in our bed. After I was done feeding I was treated to breakfast in bed by Kelsey's Daddy. We went to church and were blessed by a wonderful service. For lunch Brian made pancakes (my choice) and after a wonderful nap Brian surprised me with a gift and card from Kelsey and him.
I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful husband who cares for me and loves me as much as he does and now to have a beautiful daughter to care for. It really is sometimes overwhelming. Thank you Lord for blessing me so richly.
So far being a Mom has been wonderful. Kelsey has been a wonderful baby. She is rarely cranky, and is sleeping really well at night already. Our days have been filled with changing diapers, feeding, burping, and trying to get her to sleep.... all the usual events that are involved with having a baby.
It's amazing how fast she has grown and how much she has changed already since birth. Every day she changes just a little more. She's starting to be awake a little more, mostly in the evenings. This is usually her cranky time of the day. She's starting to hold her head up A LOT more!! It's amazing, every day she holds it up for a little longer. She loves looking around and she's starting to focus on bright lights and even looking at my face, especially when she wants more food! :) She's actually starting to tolerate her baths a little more. She hated them so much in the beginning but I've found that if the water is just a little warmer and if I put a little more water in the bath then she stays calm for a little longer. She also doesn't get quite as mad when you change her. She really didn't like her little bum exposed and the cold wipe touching her bottom and she let us know. Now we are getting a little faster at it and she's not disliking it quite as much.
Some other things we've noticed.. She loves music. On Sunday in church as long as there was music playing she was quiet, as soon as someone came up to talk she would start fussing again. She defiantly knows who Mom is and usually quiets as soon as I pick her up. She has a schedule, I'm trying to get her down for night a little earlier so that I can go to bed with Brian but try as I might she will only fall asleep at 11 or later. Hopefully eventually we can change this but for the time being we will just have to go to bed later.

Last week my Mom was able to come out to visit. It was so wonderful to have her here. I'm sure she must have gotten tired of all my questions about whether I was doing this Mom thing right. :) I really appreciated all the help she gave me and it was nice to be able to rest and continue healing.


My Dad was able to come a few days later and spend a short time as well. Kelsey had him wrapped around his little finger the moment that he laid eyes on her. My parents picked up Tim from school at the end of the week so he was able to meet Kelsey too and I think that he fell head over heels for her. It was really wonderful to watch! I can't wait now till June till the rest of the family can meet her!!















Uncle Tim!!!
















The very proud grandparents

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Melissa for sharing your story. Love looking at the pictures and seeing you so content. Wish we could see you in June, but we won't be able to make it for the wedding. I will send a gift and leave it at my parents for them to take it to Winkler.
    Love Laurie
    ps, keep sending the pictures :) when you have time of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told my parents that your parents joined them in being grandparents. They were happy for them. I know they are going to find it hard being away from kelsey

    ReplyDelete